1. Begin by preparing your surface. Remove any decorative items and/or nails from the wood. Using SuperDeck® Deck Wash, thoroughly wash and rinse the surface. Allow the pallets to dry for 24 hours.
2. With your sandpaper, sand any rough patches. Secure any loose pieces of wood with wood glue. Lay a canvas drop cloth down beneath the pallets to protect nearby surfaces from stain splatters.
3. Prepare your stain according to the instructions on the label. Before applying the stain, use a spray bottle filled with water to lightly mist the surface of the wood. This will help to blend any visible strokes from the brush.
Tip: There are several ways to apply stain. Depending on how large your surface is and how much time you can devote to your project, you may prefer to apply stain with a paintbrush, nap roller or spray gun. To preserve the rustic vibe of the pallets and cover hard-to-reach spots, we recommend using a brush for this project.
4. Using your brush, apply the stain to your pallets in an even coat, working from top to bottom to prevent uneven dripping. Don't forget to wear gloves!
Tip: Because SuperDeck® Semi-Transparent Stain is water-based, cleanups can be handled easily with soap and water. Be sure to clean up any drops or spills as you go.
5. Let dry between coats. For this project, we applied two coats to allow the wood grain to show through. Once the staining is finished, allow the pallets to dry for at least 24 hours.
Clean up: Always clean and store your brushes for future use. Learn how to properly store and dispose of paint here.
By Stacey Hirvela, Proven Winners ColorChoice®
Photographs courtesy of Proven Winners ColorChoice®
We’ve read about the decline in insect populations and the potentially dire consequences. Well there is good news, we can do something to help resolve the issue — plant something. Click here for an informative article.
Click here to sign up for our monthly NEWSLETTER packed with great articles and helpful tips for your home, garden and pets!